Lumbar Locked Rotation
Open floor or yoga mat
- Kneel on the floor and sit back on your heels
- Place one hand flat on the floor in front of you
- Place the other hand behind your head and lift your elbow to the side
- Without shifting your hips, rotate your torso so that your free arm moves higher into the air
- Take a belly breath at the top of the movement
- Return to the starting position
- Many people shift their weight away from the moving arm side. This gives the appearance of better/more movement but it is a cheat. This drill should be earning range of motion from the upper back, not from the hips.
- Moving too fast. Take your time with this one, speedy repetitions are not as valuable as good repetitions.
Progressions / Regressions:
If this is too challenging:
If you want more of a challenge:
- Use a resistance band to make it more difficult. Attach the band to a secure point low to the ground then run it under your torso and wrap it around your moving shoulder.