Quadruped Rock to Squat
Open floor or yoga mat
- Start on all 4s with your hands under your shoulders and your knees under, but slightly wider than your hips
- Find a neutral spine position (slight arch in low back)
- Rock back, maintaining your neutral spine
- Hold for a 2 count
- Rock forward over your hands, again maintaining your neutral spine
- Rock back and forth 2 times then pull your toes up so you are on the balls of your feet.
- On the next rock back transition from all fours into a low squat position while maintaining your neutral spine
- Hold the squat for several seconds and return to all 4s
- Repeat as prescribed
Losing your neutral spine position. There is a lot of opportunity in this drill to lose your spine position. Practice bracing your core and focus on position.
Progressions / Regressions:
If this is too challenging:
- Place a foam roller or other implement on your low back to give you feedback about spine position. Do not let it fall off.
If you want more of a challenge: