Segmental Press Up
Open floor or yoga mat
- Lie face down on the floor and place your hands just outside of your shoulders
- Start the movement by tilting your head back and looking up. Imagine that you are moving one segment of your spine at a time
- Continue extending your spine one vertebrae at a time
- As your chest lifts off the ground begin pushing with your hands to help support your weight
- Go slowly and focus on each segment as it moves into extension
- Continue until your elbows are fully extended
- Complete the prescribed repetitions
Many people go too fast, missing the chance to mobilize every segment along the way. Go slow and focus.
Progressions / Regressions:
If this is too challenging:
- Perform partial reps until you feel like you can move through your restriction
- If you have a friend that can help have them place the side of their hand on top of individual vertebrae to give you feedback and a block to try and bend around.
If you want more of a challenge: