- Stand with feet close, toes pointed forward
- Being the movement by tucking your chin and curling your neck. Focus on bending one segment of your spine at a time
- Continue down the spine, rounding your shoulders in so your hands can stay flat on the front of your thighs as you descend
- As you lean forward you will need to shift your hips back (like a deadlift) to stay balanced
- Contract your abs firmly through the whole movement and focus on each segment as you bend forward
- Go as far down as you can then return to the top following the same instructions in reverse. Even in reverse make sure to be flexing your abs firmly.
- Not contracting your abs enough. The abdominal muscles are responsible for bending your spine so to get each segment to move you will need to create a lot of tension.
- Going too fast. This is a difficult movement and many people rush through it thinking that they have completed a rep. Slower is always better with this exercise.
Progressions / Regressions:
If this is too challenging:
If you want more of a challenge: